Fear Factor Daily Prompt: People are afraid of all kinds of things: spiders, the dark, or being enclosed in small spaces. Tell us about your greatest fear — rational or irrational.
I am a day behind with this, so I guess we can rule out the fear of being late. There is no one major area of crippling paranoia for me. Just a lot of minor annoying (but, of course, completely rational) phobias which I have decided to organize into an alphabetical list.
1. Aliens (especially the ones that are cleverly disguised and walking among us.) (Hey, I’ve seen the documentaries, I know about these things)
2. Bats (the kind that fly around at night wanting to get tangled up in your hair)
6. Falling (hard and awkwardly enough to break bones) (or down an abandoned mine shaft)
7. Germs (and people who don’t wash their germy hands)
8. Heights (rooftops and beyond)
9. Illnesses of the fatal variety
10. Job interviews (avoiding them is the reason I’ve been doing the same job for so long)
11. Karaoke (Really, that shit is scary)
12. Lightning bolts
13. Memory loss and Madness (although if I do go mad, who knows, it might just be a different kind of happy)
14. Natural disasters
18. Roller Coasters
19. Swimming (without a life jacket) (in the ocean) (…which would lead to drowning….)
21. Unidentified Flying Objects
22. Violence (physical, verbal, abuse of any kind)
24. Xenophobia (Yes, I know, fear of a fear. But until we get over our fear of strangers and foreign things, peace on earth will never happen)
I probably won’t write a children’s alphabet book based on this list, complete with frightening illustrations, although stranger things have been done with the alphabet. And many of the things I’ve listed (like the last two, for instance), I have no actual personal experience with whatsoever. They just seem to me to be absolutely fear-worthy.
What are you afraid of?