What Happened Yesterday

Random art work unrelated to subject because the alternative was a photo of an actual human colon.  You're welcome.

Random art work unrelated to subject because the alternative was a photo of an actual human colon. You’re welcome.

It’s been a long morning for me, thanks to Lacie, the amazing alarm clock dog.  The neighbours next door let her out in the early morning to do her business and she barks her fool little head off at….I don’t know….snowflakes, fence posts, air.  I wonder why she can’t just go for a quiet pee like a normal dog and let me sleep.  But this morning was better than yesterday morning, so I have forgiven her.

Today is a good day because it’s Friday, it’s snowing, and I have nowhere to go!  And no gigantic four litre jug of vile laxative to consume!  I’m going to tell you my colonoscopy story, so if you’d like to skip on to whatever you were going to do next, now’s your chance.

For the three of you who have decided to stick around because you love old people medical stories, here we go.  I have a family history of bowel cancer, and a colonoscopy is something doctors have strongly advised me to have done to detect any potential problems.  The day before the procedure is spent cleaning out the colon, eating nothing, drinking clear fluids, feeling sorry for yourself and staying close to the bathroom.  Black coffee is allowed.  Thank God for small mercies.  For the last eight hours you can have nothing by mouth, not even water.

The first colonoscopy I had was done in 2003 and I was instructed to come back for another one in ten years.  But because of my superior procrastination skills, I was able to stretch that to twelve.  If the results are fine for this one, I may set a fifteen year goal for the next one.

The procedure was scheduled for 11:45 a.m. yesterday.  I like to be insanely early for things and W likes to be a minimum of five minutes late.  The morning started off with a dead battery in my car.  This was all my fault for not driving it enough.  And we could not take the truck because W was having way too much fun making a big production of recharging the battery and slicing a finger open in the process.  This required much swearing and a bandaid.  Then we took a long convoluted route to our destination, slowing down for green lights in the hope that they would turn red before we got to them.  There is no parking at the hospital.  Well, there is, but every parking lot is always full and we know this, but drive around through all of them just to make sure.  There’s lots of parking spaces at the mall nearby, because it’s better to inconvenience sick people than to piss off shoppers.

W dropped me off at admitting 80 minutes instead of the required 90 minutes ahead of time so that I could check in and fill out a form and sit on my ass for a bit thinking about all the things that could possibly go wrong and wondering if he would make it back from wherever he finally managed to park.  I also thought a lot about food and being incredibly thirsty and how much my head was aching.  Eventually I was taken to a prep room where I signed a consent form and donned one of those beautiful back-open hospital gowns I’m so fond of.  The nurse told me to leave my socks on, because just the gown by itself isn’t funny enough.  Then they inserted the IV paraphernalia and told me to lie down and wait.  W had shown up and taken off and come back again while I studied the ceiling tiles.  He told me he went to the hospital cafeteria for soup and a sandwich.  I was going to say “I hate  you” but I didn’t because, although that is a perfectly acceptable thing to say when you’re in labour,  in this case I was faint from hunger and simply didn’t have the energy.

The procedure itself took about fifteen minutes.  The IV is for sedation.  They don’t like to give you too much because it’s a busy place and no one wants you hanging around too long afterwards waking up.  So I was sort of aware of what was going on.  Trust me when I say passing out completely would have been my preferred option.  I was then wheeled to a recovery area where I studied some different ceiling tiles until they removed the tubes and tape and let me get dressed.  Then the doctor popped by to tell me it all went well and although there were a couple of polyps discovered, he wasn’t anticipating they were anything to worry about.

Because you are not allowed to leave on your own, the nurse pointed across the room at W and asked me if that was my ride.  Normally this would not be a funny thing to say, but when you’re coming out of sedation all bets are off.  I imagined introducing him to strangers as “my ride” and thinking that was the most freaking hilarious thing I’d ever heard.  She quickly told me I was free to go.

On the way home “my ride” stopped at Swiss Chalet and watched me eat a huge plate of chicken and ribs and sweet potato fries, washed down with two cups of coffee and three glasses of water.  Then of course I felt sick, but also happy.  It’s hard to explain.

And here you thought nothing interesting or exciting ever happened in my life as a retired person who never starts her car.  I am so glad that today is another day exactly like that.  Even Lacie the yappy wonder dog can’t ruin it.

38 thoughts on “What Happened Yesterday

  1. That was the most awful surgery prep I ever experienced to get a polyp removed. Medical int eh Free Market will consider human comfort much more for any procedure. I pay.


  2. Colonoscopies are not pleasant….actually, the process before the procedure is worse than the test itself. Every five years…..no waiting for ten or fifteen. Glad yours went well. The best part of the whole experience is chewing down afterwards. What you had sounded a whole lot better than soup and a sandwich. I bet the wait was worth it……..:)

    Liked by 1 person

  3. This was a hilarious story. My colonoscopy — several years ago– I was awake for the whole thing. Something about not wanting to put me totally under. I see now from your post that it is because they want to kick us to the curb asap.


  4. As you see there are more than three people reading on, and it was well worth it. To tell such a stoty in such an entertainig way requires talent. Thanks for the laugh.

    Liked by 1 person

  5. I’m my sister’s ride, only I don’t drive. I just come along for the moral support. We don’t have Swiss Chalet here, but I’m sure I can rustle up some chicken and ribs for us. It sound yummy. Did you save a rib for Lacie?

    Liked by 1 person

  6. Reading this post, it all comes back to me…the smell of the rain on the velt, the delirium after days of wondering in the back county, the taste of…oh wait, that’s another story. I lost track of yours after ‘nil by mouth’. I hate these things, but I am subjected to them very 3-5 years. My doc’s office just sent me s notice although I had it done last year…both endoscopy (esophagus, upper GI including stomach) and colonoscopy (colon only) are due. Now they want me to swallow a camera so they can examine the small intestine. Seems those darn tests last year didn’t look everywhere.


    • W had an endoscopy done. But he’s never had a colonoscopy, so he hasn’t really lived a full life yet. I’ll move out for a couple of days if he ever has to do the laxative/fluids-only day from hell. Swallowing a camera doesn’t sound pleasant either. I guess we should be grateful for all these life saving things that can be done to us. But liking them is really out of the question.


  7. You should really have a column in a newspaper. I can see people spluttering over this on their ride – not yours – to work. Nothing might ever happen(!) but, by the gods, it’s funny as hell nothing. Keep on doing nothing. And let us know when you do. 🙂

    Liked by 1 person

I LOVE reading your comments. Sometimes I even reply to them.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.