Yesterday after I used my inhaler I held my breath and read almost every word on my tube of dermatologist tested INTENSE RELIEF hand cream, except for the French. I find if I distract myself from the fact that I have stopped breathing it’s easier to keep the inhaled ventolin in my lungs longer so that it will have a better chance to do whatever it’s meant to be doing in there.
I am an obsessive reader of labels when it comes to food products. I religiously read patient leaflets included with medical products to see if they agree with what the doctor and the pharmacist advise. And also to check out all the possible side effects so I can imagine I am experiencing them. I read the instructions on recipes too. Sort of. Unless I don’t feel like it. But that’s getting off topic and away from my point. I often do have a point, in case you hadn’t noticed.
What I don’t pay much attention to is all the blather on the labels of self-care products like shampoo and body wash and creams and lotions. After getting myself all informed about the benefits of my amazing hand cream, (and then gasping for breath before passing out) I went around the house reading other descriptions and instructions on random product lables. Turns out they are simply loaded with adjectives which may or may not be accurate or even make sense.
Yes, my life is exactly this thrilling on a normal day.
But that is not my point either. My point is, advertising can be devious and deceptive but mostly just damned confusing. I have compiled a list of examples for you. (I am nothing if not predictable).
- velvety smooth, silky smooth, smooth and soothing
- long lasting, all day, 24 hour
- humidity resistant
- strong but flexible
- advanced moisture therapy
- deep moisturizing
- total moisturizing
- deeply hydrating
- protective hydration
- shielding emollients
- fast absorbing
- gently absorbs
- enriched with vitamins and skin essential lipids
- non greasy
- soft, luxurious
- skin perfecting
- exotic vitality (if you’re shopping for vitality, the exotic variety is no doubt the best)
- glow renewal
- hydra nutrition
- sulphate/phthalate/paraben/alcohol/petroleum/etc. free
- eco friendly
- certified organic
- all natural
- 99% plant based (the other 1% could be made from snakes….)
- refreshes and revitalizes thirsty skin
- locks in volume
How impressive is that last one? Because no one wants their volume to break free and go gallivanting off into the stratosphere.
You might surmise from this long list that I have a thousand or more beauty products stashed away in my home. I don’t. These are all written on shampoo, conditioner, body wash, hand soap, lotion, and a couple of hair care products. Maybe there was one from my dish soap, I can’t remember.
I have what I thought were pretty ordinary apple/green tea and coconut/cocoa butter shampoos (because who doesn’t want their hair to smell like lunch) but on closer examination it turns out they are made from Farm Harvested green apples, Chinese green tea extracts, South Pacific coconut oil and West African cocoa butter extracts. Wow. Who runs around the world collecting all this crap. I’m pretty sure no one.
Most confusing of all is what sometimes follows all this blather about how wonderful and pure and amazing the stuff is.
- for external use only, do not swallow
- discontinue use if rash or irritation occurs or worsens
- avoid contact with eyes
- keep out of reach of children
If there is truth in advertising I think it’s mostly of the stretched variety. Now I realize there is no point in complaining if you aren’t willing to come up with positive changes. So here is an example of something I would like to see on my bottle of conditioner. “Regular use ensures that your hair will no longer stand on end, crackle with enough static electricity to light up a dark room, or have the potential to set your sheets on fire.”
Come on, admit it. You would for sure buy that.
You must be logged in to post a comment.