This is how it begins. A blank canvas, an idea in my head, and some scraps of coloured or printed tissue paper.
To start with something more balanced than random, I arrange the initial colours by corner, corner and opposite side.
Then I fill in the empty spaces with incredibly random bits and pieces. Overlapping creates different colours and lots of wrinkles. Because this is a stretched canvas the paper is brought around to cover all the edges.
It’s drying balanced on one corner on my easel so it doesn’t end up stuck to the desk.
Now I’ve added texture paste with a little pallet knife and stencils. My idea was “circles” but I don’t think you could have guessed that yet. Unless you’re psychic.
This is where the process gets away on me and I forget to take photos. I used W’s coffee cup (hey, I don’t want paint on MINE) by dipping the rim in different colours of acrylic paint and stamping circles. They didn’t show up very well, so I glued some circular pieces of yellow tissue paper on some of them. And stamped some small black circles in ink, and spritzed some spots with ink spray.
What the heck did I add here? It looks like the same photo. But I know after this I used the coffee cup rim again, this time with white paint and went nuts with the circles. I also used W’s shot glass to make small white circles to tie the big ones together. He’s away, he’ll never know. This is now your coffee table after a party without coasters.
To prove I went outside today, here is the finished circle picture sprayed with matte varnish and drying in the sun.
I forgot to mention a few more ink spritzes and white splatter with a toothbrush. Taadaa!
And finally,SIDEWAYS because there is no wrong way to look at this thing, and a beautiful quote for even more inspiration. Happy Friday.
“Drinking the energy of the universe
Breathing along with the Cosmos
With each breath
I am reborn
Into a brand new existence.”
The 11th Possibility is the idea that, regardless of data to the contrary, something unexpected and outside the realm of ordinary thought is always potentially around the corner.
“A coin is flipped 10 times, and in each instance lands on either heads or tails. But even after the normalcy displayed by the first 10 flips, the result of the next flip is still unknown. The coin could turn into a bird and fly away. The coin could land perfectly on its ridged edge. The coin could dissolve upon landing. It could defy gravity and remain stuck in the air. This is the 11th Possibility.”
This is an amazing Prompt for the Promptless by Rarsaur. It’s SO amazing, it has taken me five days to figure out what ‘outside the realm of ordinary thought’ could possibly mean to me. Because there are some pretty weird thoughts floating around out there, and I may have had one or two of them myself, if I want to admit it. “What do you think happens next?” is my favourite question of all time. To answer, and to ask.
You walk into a dark room and flip the light switch on. Normalcy says that the light turns on. What are some possible 11th Possibilities? Who knew flipping a switch could conjure up such interesting visions? Here are a few unexpected (but highly desirable) possible outcomes to turning on the lights.
1. You are no longer in Kansas or wherever you thought you were. This is suddenly Narnia and Oz combined, but without the scary parts, like lions and witches and tin men with no brains.
2. A genie appears to offer you three wishes. And they don’t have to be off the top of your head either! He leaves you his card and says you can call him later after you’ve had time to think about it.
3. You discover Johnny Depp has dropped by and has been sitting here in the dark waiting to ask you for some help with his pirate research. Or anything really, who cares. Because oh my gawd, look, it’s Johnny Depp.
4. You can hear the ocean and feel the warm sand beneath your feet and the sun on your face. A cabana boy hands you a tall and fruity umbrella drink that smells like strawberries and fresh pineapple and a tropical breeze. You take a sweet cold sip and think you must have died and gone to heaven. You get out the duct tape and tape that light switch in the on position, because ain’t nobody gonna be allowed to turn that sucker off.
5. Some old man who looks a lot like Dumbledor is sitting in the lotus position on your carpet and wants to explain the mysteries of the cosmos to you over a glass of wine. And he doesn’t even have to kill you once you know everything.
6. All the beautiful people you’ve loved and lost have come back to say a quick hello and to let you know they’ve never been more happy and fine and that they’re not really lost at all. But come on, being summoned by a light switch is just a tad too bizarre, even for them. Better make this a sweet and happy reunion, because it’s highly unlikely that this kind of chance encounter will happen for you twice.
7. Someone who calls herself Ms. Universeand is dressed like a Christmas Angel, tells you to trust in her and her magical powers, live in this beautiful moment, be happy now and love your life. Be One With Your Couch,you’re pretty sure she says, so you lie down and close your eyes and smile at the beautiful synchronicity in your world. And when you wake up, you know it wasn’t just a dream. Because there’s angel dust everywhere.
8. You are blessed with a little epiphany, a little ‘aha’ moment when you flip the switch and the light comes on. Here’s your home, exactly the way you left it. You are filled with gratitude and appreciation for your family and all that you have to share with them. When the light comes on you are suddenly able to see that this life you’re living is nothing less than a magical gift and that your happiness has never depended on whimsical daydreams. It has always been right here, just waiting for you to flip the switch and find it.
(But seriously, that one where Johnny Depp wants to hang out with you? Man, that one would be such a bonus.)
Taotalk is a forum for the discussion of both the academic and pragmatic aspects of dao and Daoism, with participants expressing themselves on Daoist writings and pragmatics from their unique perspectives. It serves as a community for Daoists, and those interested in Daoism, to gather and talk dao.
To participate in the Ragtag Daily Prompt, create a Pingback to your post, or copy and paste the link to your post into the comments. And while you’re there, why not check out some of the other posts too!