A long time ago I read this passage in a novel. Then I read it again. Have you ever come across someone else’s simple little story and been deeply affected by it or felt so connected to the feelings portrayed that the whole thing could just as easily be your own?
I marked the page these words were on and kept coming back to them. Then I typed the passage and printed it and put it in my keepsakes box. Every time I come across it I read it again and marvel at how much I like it and then I return it to the box.
After all this time I don’t know who wrote it or what book it came out of. If you recognize it I will happily share the source.
Funny how a random little snippet from a fictional life seemed like something worth saving, and how it never loses its charm for me.
And that’s my Saturday blurb of randomness for this week! Hope you’re having a great weekend.
Edited to add- it is from The Pull of the Moon by Elizabeth Berg….thanks oregana
Yesterday I sat in the waiting room at the specialists office for my follow-up appointment concerning the results of the needle biopsy I had done over two weeks ago. Our holiday in Ontario was wonderful, by the way. I forgot a hundred times that all this was hanging over my head. The time flew by. Time waiting in a doctor’s office does not fly. There were eons of it to look around at all the other people there facing their own worries and battles and challenges. I’m not so special after all. Just another patient to be diagnosed and treated.
And it turns out I’m okay. There is no cancer, there is no lymphoma. Just inflammation from an infection that never cleared. Who knows where or why. Today I start on a course of heavy-duty antibiotics for a month, and return on the 22nd of September to have it all reassessed. The biopsy found nothing. “Nothing” never sounded so good.
You don’t realize how much something is weighing on you until it’s lifted and set aside. The relief is huge. I feel like my life has been given back to me. I know that’s way over the top for drama considering the circumstances, because I would have dealt with a different outcome too, one way or another.
And then this turns out to be the same day Robin Williams decides to end his life. I just don’t get it. We look after the physical body so well, but our mental, emotional and spiritual healing practices need a lot of work. All I know for sure is that no matter how difficult this life might get, I still want to live it.
But maybe that’s because the degree of difficulty has never overwhelmed me. I can’t imagine how hard it must be to battle depression every day of your life.
So are we back to normal here yet? Picking out all the funny little things in life that make us happy? Annoying the hell out of people who have REAL problems?
Yes we are.
The 11th Possibility is the idea that, regardless of data to the contrary, something unexpected and outside the realm of ordinary thought is always potentially around the corner.
“A coin is flipped 10 times, and in each instance lands on either heads or tails. But even after the normalcy displayed by the first 10 flips, the result of the next flip is still unknown. The coin could turn into a bird and fly away. The coin could land perfectly on its ridged edge. The coin could dissolve upon landing. It could defy gravity and remain stuck in the air. This is the 11th Possibility.”
This is an amazing Prompt for the Promptless by Rarsaur. It’s SO amazing, it has taken me five days to figure out what ‘outside the realm of ordinary thought’ could possibly mean to me. Because there are some pretty weird thoughts floating around out there, and I may have had one or two of them myself, if I want to admit it. “What do you think happens next?” is my favourite question of all time. To answer, and to ask.
You walk into a dark room and flip the light switch on. Normalcy says that the light turns on. What are some possible 11th Possibilities? Who knew flipping a switch could conjure up such interesting visions? Here are a few unexpected (but highly desirable) possible outcomes to turning on the lights.
1. You are no longer in Kansas or wherever you thought you were. This is suddenly Narnia and Oz combined, but without the scary parts, like lions and witches and tin men with no brains.
2. A genie appears to offer you three wishes. And they don’t have to be off the top of your head either! He leaves you his card and says you can call him later after you’ve had time to think about it.
3. You discover Johnny Depp has dropped by and has been sitting here in the dark waiting to ask you for some help with his pirate research. Or anything really, who cares. Because oh my gawd, look, it’s Johnny Depp.
4. You can hear the ocean and feel the warm sand beneath your feet and the sun on your face. A cabana boy hands you a tall and fruity umbrella drink that smells like strawberries and fresh pineapple and a tropical breeze. You take a sweet cold sip and think you must have died and gone to heaven. You get out the duct tape and tape that light switch in the on position, because ain’t nobody gonna be allowed to turn that sucker off.
5. Some old man who looks a lot like Dumbledor is sitting in the lotus position on your carpet and wants to explain the mysteries of the cosmos to you over a glass of wine. And he doesn’t even have to kill you once you know everything.
6. All the beautiful people you’ve loved and lost have come back to say a quick hello and to let you know they’ve never been more happy and fine and that they’re not really lost at all. But come on, being summoned by a light switch is just a tad too bizarre, even for them. Better make this a sweet and happy reunion, because it’s highly unlikely that this kind of chance encounter will happen for you twice.
7. Someone who calls herself Ms. Universe and is dressed like a Christmas Angel, tells you to trust in her and her magical powers, live in this beautiful moment, be happy now and love your life. Be One With Your Couch, you’re pretty sure she says, so you lie down and close your eyes and smile at the beautiful synchronicity in your world. And when you wake up, you know it wasn’t just a dream. Because there’s angel dust everywhere.
8. You are blessed with a little epiphany, a little ‘aha’ moment when you flip the switch and the light comes on. Here’s your home, exactly the way you left it. You are filled with gratitude and appreciation for your family and all that you have to share with them. When the light comes on you are suddenly able to see that this life you’re living is nothing less than a magical gift and that your happiness has never depended on whimsical daydreams. It has always been right here, just waiting for you to flip the switch and find it.
(But seriously, that one where Johnny Depp wants to hang out with you? Man, that one would be such a bonus.)
Do you think aliens have ever visited Earth?
Of course they have. I’ve seen the movies. They live among us. But only because their space ships have malfunctioned and can’t be repaired and they’re stuck here indefinitely. Otherwise they’d be long gone. Originally aliens landed here with the intent of taking control and colonizing this planet but now that they’ve seen what a complete bloody mess it’s in that idea has been shelved. There are other worlds where the inhabitants aren’t so dead set on destroying everything around them and making themselves extinct and they’ve chosen to settle in those galaxies of less insanity instead.
Although aliens have cleverly disguised themselves as ordinary human beings (and let’s face it, the choices are infinite because no one is sure what a normal human being actually is), you can recognize one by observing how they shake their heads and roll their eyes and mutter things like ‘what the hell were we thinking’ when no one is paying any attention to them. Plus their skin is a weird blue/green color and they glow in the dark.
I could also tell you all about time travel and parallel dimensions and black holes and alien abduction if you want, but maybe we shouldn’t get ourselves into a state of information overload and blow up our craniums with short circuits and an overdose of b.s. Save those brain cells for thinking up new ways to obliterate the planet. That’ll show those aliens who’s in control.