It’s rude to pick favorites, and I just can’t do it. The best I can manage is a short list with sincere apologies to anyone I’ve forgotten.
– cold potato salad on a hot summer day
– chocolate ice cream in a waffle cone
– yogurt covered raisins
– scones, hot from the oven with butter and honey
– turkey stuffing when it’s not even Christmas
– hot Starbucks coffee with a splash of hazelnut cream
– movie popcorn with extra butter
– veggies and dip, even though you wouldn’t expect them to be on this list because they’re actually good for you but the comfort part is in being able to eat a whole bucket full and not feel any remorse or guilt when you’re finally so stuffed you can’t move
– and honorable mention goes to toast for its versatility.
Don’t know how to answer the ‘why’ part either, because there are different foods for different moods and days of the week and seasons. A spread sheet might be helpful, and I’d make one up for you now if I had the time, but there’s some rye toast with peanut butter calling my name and I gotta go.